June 19, 2012

June 20, 2012

Good Morning,
  It is hard to believe that we are at the end of another school year.  It always amazes me how fast the time goes.  This weekend, my first group of Waitsfield 1st Graders will be graduating from Harwood.
I hope you  have enjoyed the year and found the classroom to be an open and welcoming place.

  I would like to thank each and every family for the beautiful apple trees.  It was a very generous and thoughtful gift (not to mention unnecessary).  I have already planted them in my yard, and they look wonderful.  The trees will be a living memory of the good times of the good times I had with this group.

Today your child will have their report card, a list of books (if people are looking for summer reading), and a copy of this blog.  I wanted to make sure everyone received the thank you part of the blog entry.

I hope you have a wonderful summer and I look forward to seeing all of you in August.

Thank you again for a wonderful year.

Peace,
Tom

Reading List:


Second Grade and Third Grade Common Core Suggested Reading List

Poetry

  • “Autumn,” Emily Dickinson
  • “Who Has Seen the Wind?” Christina Rossetti
  • “Afternoon on a Hill,” Edna St. Vincent Millay
  • “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening”  Robert Frost
  • “Something Told the Wild Geese”  Rachel Field
  • “Grandpa’s Stories”  Langston Hughes
  • “A Bat is Born”  Randall Jarrell
  • “Knoxville, Tennessee”  Nikki Giovanni
  • “Weather”  Eve Merriam
  • “Eating While Reading”  Gary Soto

Informational Texts

Read-Aloud Stories

Read-Aloud Poetry

  • “The Jumblies,” Edward Lear
  • “The Pied Piper of Hamelin,” Robert Browning
  • “Your World,” Georgia Douglas Johnson
  • “The Song of the Jellicles”  T.S. Elliot
  • “Fireflies,” Paul Fleischman

Read-Aloud Informational Texts