January 18, 2021

January 18, 2020

 Good Morning,

I hope everyone had a chance to get outside and enjoy nature's beauty over the past few days.  One of my weekend pleasures was getting out in the woods with my dog and just enjoying the vast untouched snow and the simple sounds of nature.  It was very rewarding.

Over the past week and a half we have been talking about the Civil Rights.  I spent some time reading a variety of books about Martin Luther King Jr.  We used Martin's Big Words as our anchor book and will continue to work with this book during our virtual meeting on Wednesday.  This past week we wrapped on the "Candy Experiment" (explained in last blog post) and the kids used Flip Grid to record how they felt about it.  You can view their responses here: https://flipgrid.com/20925ea7.  The responses were unrehearsed and are how they felt.  I found them very interesting and will draw upon their feelings as I tie it into the discussion of civil rights.  These videos also illuminate some of the technical difficulties we deal with and how masks do make it hard to hear sometimes.  

This past week was very interesting from my perspective, as your child's teacher.  This was the first week where I felt COVID and the restrictions were truly effecting the kids as a whole.  There were some very challenging times during specials classes and kids just seeming "frustrated or even down."  I had a meeting where we talked about how they were feeling.  They were more than willing to share about how they are tired of masks, miss sleepovers, and never get play dates.  We talked about why these things are in place and I threw out an idea that they seemed excited about.  Every other week, if they work hard and earn it, I will set aside an hour on Friday's to allow them to have a play date, with friends, in class or outside.  We marked the calendar and I will see how this goes.  I am hoping it helps them a bit.

THIS WEEK"S ASYNCHRONOUS SCHEDULE & WORK

As a whole, the consistency of Wednesday work has started to waiver.  This week I will attach a rubric for your child's Weekly News.  This will help them see the expectation of the entry.  Your child will also have their passport on Wednesday.  Since this is a four day week, I need them to do some work with this on Wednesday.  If they can write about two or three facts on Wednesday, in their passport, that will be sufficient work on this.  

This weeks schedule:

1.  8:45 Meeting with Mr. Young.  You will need your yellow folder and a pencil;.

2.  Weekly News Entry.  Look at the rubric on how you will be graded.

3.  Passport Work

4.  Lexia Core 5

5.  Zearn Lesson

That is all for now.  I hope you have a great week.

Peace,

Tommy