October 12, 2023

October 12, 2023

Good Thursday evening to all of you.  I am writing this blog post tonight because I will be out of school tomorrow.  I am headed to my daughter's parents' weekend in Rochester, NY. It was certainly nice to have a full class again this week. I have a feeling we will be battling a variety of illnesses throughout the winter.  Please do your best to limit time out of school (when kids are healthy) to minimize the total amount of school missed. I appreciate your support with this.

This week wrapped up the outdoor learning portion of our erosion unit. This week we looked at the types of root systems that help protect river banks during high river levels with faster currents. Lucas talked to the kids about root systems of a tree compared to that of knotweed.  The students spent today writing in their science notebooks and illustrating their learning and writing about their observations.

In writing, we focused a lot on how to spell words.  I introduced the word wall (most commonly used words in the English language), we talked about stretching (tapping) words out to write the sounds we hear, and  how to look for small words in bigger words. The students continue to work on small moment stories, editing those stories, and learning to add more detail to their them. 

I am curious if the blog is useful and does it provide good information?  Is there something more you would like added to the posts.  My concern is viewership has dwindled.  Last week only 5 people looked at it. That is down from an average of about 30 views a week.  Please let me know your thoughts.

NOTES:

*All of the book orders have been submitted.  I will send them home with your child when they arrive.

*Please make sure your child brings a water bottle to school each day.

That is all for now.  I hope you enjoy the weekend.  This weeks pictures include some recess shots. I had recess duty on Wednesday an it was fun to see how they were "playing." The video below cracked me up!


Peace,

Mr. Young