November 11, 2012

November 12, 2012

Good Morning,
  I hope you all had a fabulous weekend.  It seemed weird to have the windows open for part of the day on Sunday.  It is hard to believe that we have 7 days of school before the Thanksgiving Break.  Today, we welcome back Jude to the classroom.  He stopped by for a quick lunch visit on Friday and will rejoin the class today.

  Teaching is a wonderful job that allows and requires constant reflection.  As I wrapped up the first trimester, I took some time to look at what was working in the classroom and what could be changed for maximum efficiency and productivity.  When students arrive at school now, they take care of their homework, look at the Morning Message, and then read by themselves or with a partner.  I am changing the last part of this routine.  When students arrive, they will still do the first two things, and then be asked to work on their sight words.  We are currently doing this during our spelling time, but I want to add more to our spelling block.  What does this mean for your child?  They need to be in school by 7:40, or they will not have the same opportunity as those kids who are on time.  They will work on this until 7:55, and then we will start morning meeting.  Although this is an academic activity, it is a great one to start the day with because students get to choose how they want to practice their words.  It allows them to start the day with a self directed activity.  I am excited about this change and truly feel the benefit will be substantial.

NOTES:
*1st Grade Math Homework:  In the midst of preparing for my substitute last week,  I forgot to send home new math homework.  So, I will send a new game home today.  I will then send the surveys home next Monday (11/20/12).  I am sorry for not having something this past week.

*Parent Conferences:  Please make sure to sign up for a conference time.  If you are going to be away, please let me know.  We can make arrangements for something the week after Thanksgiving.  Report Cards will be sent home this Friday.

I hope you have a great week.

Peace,
Tom