September 21, 2020

September 21, 2020

 

Students enjoying lunch on a beautiful fall day.

Good Afternoon Everyone!  Let me start off with a huge thank you!  Every child arrived today with their Ziploc bag and all of their materials.  I appreciate the effort on your end and know you all are balancing a lot. 

Today We read the story What Does It Mean To Be Kind? by Rana DiOrio.  In this story, A girl is kind to a new student in her class. Her kindness spreads, an act of kindness after an act of kindness, until her whole community experiences the magical change that happens when everyone understands and act on, what means to be kind. I tied it into our previous discussions on acts of kindness and challenged the students to start adding their own acts of kindness to their little kindness books.  I can't wait to see how they each demonstrate acts of kindness.  


 

Upcoming Assessments:

I will be spending the next few weeks conducting a variety of assessments that will allow me to see what your child can do and what he/she needs to be taught.  Some of the assessments will be done 1:1 and some are whole group.  Here are the assessments and what purpose they serve.

F&P Reading Test:  This is a 1;1 assessment that allows me to see how your child reads, what strategies they have in their toolbox, and it gives me an indication of what level book to use with him.her.  It is done on a 1:1 basis and they will be conducted over the next few weeks.

DSA:  This is the developmental spelling test.  It is a whole group test where students are asked to spell a sequential set of words that help me zero in on what spelling stage he/she is at.  I did this today with the Monday group and will do it again on Thursday.

Letter ID & Sound:  This is a 1:1 test that will allow me to see what letters your child knows and what sounds they think each letter makes.

Star 360:  This is a district wide math and language arts test that serves as a screening tool for your child's abilities and strengths.  It helps us identify where to start with certain aspects fo the curriculum.

NOTES:

*Please make sure your child's Chromebook is charged each night.  This is critical for usage at school.

*Make sure you are checking the work schedule for week 3 on the blog.

That is all for now.  I hope you have a great week.

Peace,

Mr. Young