April 11, 2011

April 11, 2011

Good Morning,
  I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.  It was nice to be outside in the sunshine.  Today we looked at the skill of estimation during our morning meeting activity.  We looked at strategies such as grouping and chunking clumps of items.  We read the book Greater Estimations by Bruce Goldstone.  During science the students observed two different plants and graphed their similarities and differences.  During stations the class used the graph to write comparing and contrasting sentences about the two plants.

  This afternoon we worked on adding even and odd numbers and looked at when a sum is odd and when it is even.  The students were asked to solve number problems such as Can you make 24 with one odd and one even number?  If they couldn't, they had to explain why.

*There is reading and math homework this week.  I am only sending home one math problem.  If you would like another one during the week, please let me know.  I ask that you continue working on the sight word list that I sent home too.

*Don't forget to send in your placement form.

I hope you have a great week.
Peace,
Tom