October 18, 2011

October 19, 2011

Good Morning,


  I hope this is finding everyone well and enjoying the very last few days of the typical Fall weather.  Over the last two days, our science focus has been on the idea of "fair tests" and developing testable questions.  The students have been using the materials from our Forces and Motion unit to try and develop   their own testable question.  Today we tested a few of these questions out.


  Yesterday marked the "Official" start of our Reading Groups.  Please make sure your child reads the book that he or she is assigned for the evening, and returns it the next day.  Even if it is a chapter book, I would still like it to be sent back and forth each day.  For those kids who are beginning readers, the books that they are bringing home have been pre-read in their reading group.  It is expected and a normal procedure for new readers to use the pictures for clues.  You will also notice a bit of memorization of the book.  This is acceptable and expected as well.


  This year we will be doing Pen-Pals with my daughter's 1st & 2nd grade class.  I hope to start these next week.  I am going to try and pair up 1st graders and 2nd graders respectively.  My daughter's teachers name is Sally Kullis.


FIELD TRIP OPPORTUNITY:


  The Hike for Hunger is an annual event that takes place each October. Schools and community groups across the state pick a date within the month of October and a location within their community and hike to raise awareness about the issue of hunger in Vermont.  Mr. Hubbard and I are planning our hike for the morning of October 29th.  We will leave school around 9:15 and return around lunch time.  We want to walk from school and hike up the Old Center Fayston Road.  Please let me know if you would like to join us.  We will be asking kids to bring in food for the food shelf during that week.  If possible, see if your child can ask some of their neighbors or other family members for donations.  




  I would like to thank all of you that have offered your congratulations on the teaching award that I was honored with.  Today I will head up to UVM (after school) with Kaiya for the award ceremony.  I am truly honored to be part of the Waitsfield School, and I have been blessed to have worked with such a talented staff that has taught me how to set the expectation bar so high.


Have a great day.
Peace,
Tom