October 24, 2011

October 24, 2011


Good Morning,

This week Ms. Hines will be the lead teacher for math.  Next week is her solo week and this will help her prepare for that week.  I will be in the room during math time but will be acting as the assistant.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

  Last week,  I tested the kids on their compliments of 10 and 20 (if appropriate).  This week's 1st grade homework is to work on the set of compliments that is indicated in your child's homework bag.  You will find it on a bright piece of photo copy paper.  This is a very important piece to helping your child become fluent with their math facts.  Second graders will have a doubles and doubles +1 game to play this week.

  This week, we will be using the book Hello, My Name is Bob, by Linas Alsenas.  The students will be asked to compare the two friends, Bob and Jack, and write how they are friends but very different.  They will use a Venn diagram for their pre-writing.  The students will then write a focused paragraph using their pre-writing notes.


NOTES:

*We will have our Hike For Hunger trek on Friday.  We will be leaving around 9:15 and returning around 11:00.  So far, Michelle L., Elizabeth C., and Eva F.  Anyone else who would like to go is welcomed to join us.  Students should bring in donations for the food shelf this week.

*My daughter was home sick today, and my wife stayed with her.  If she is still sick tomorrow, it will be my turn to stay with her.  I am hoping that she is back on her feet when I get home today.

*READING LOG:  You will find a reading log in your child's homework bag.  Please help them fill this out each night.  I will collect these and the math surveys on Friday of each week.  The second graders are asked to work with the notion of elapsed time as well.

That is all for now.  I hope you have a great week.
Peace,
Tom