September 9, 2012

Good Morning.  I hope you all had a wonderful weekend.  It seems like Fall is certainly starting to settle in.  This week we will get into more of our academic schedule and learn how to work in small groups.  During this time, we will focus on using each other to help us when we are stuck.  I will also introduce the concept of "Time Out."  I will be calling it take a break to reinforce the intended purpose of this consequence.

  One of our social studies themes this year is celebrations and traditions.  This year I will focus on a variety of local (state) and national celebrations.  Our first one will be the apple harvest.  In honor of this tradition and celebration, we will be taking a trip to Adam's Apple Orchard in Williston.  The trip will be on Friday, September 21st.  We will be leaving at 8:00 and returning by 11:50 (lunch time).  We will eat a snack at the orchard.  The cost of the trip is $5 per child.  Please send in the money by this Friday.  If payment is a difficulty, please let Kaiya or I know.  I would like to bring chaperones.  please let me know if you are interested.  Below is a description of the trip:

Each Tour Includes:
Grade appropriate talk about apples, history of trees, and our orchard

Wagon ride through the orchard

1/4peck bag of apples for each child, and
discussion about how to pick fruit correctly

Cider making demonstration and a sample of cider for each member of tour
(children will be offered pasteurized cider)

Complimentary Apple Orchard Coloring Book

Duration: approximately 1 hour
Cost: $5.00 per student. 
                 (Any apples picked in addition to the 1/4 peck bags will be an additional charge)

NOTES:
*I will be out of school on Wednesday afternoon and Thursday.  I have a doctor's appointment in Burlington during these times.

*Please send back the yellow volunteer forms.

*I will now use the new school e-mail address:  Please use tyoung@waitsfieldschool.org
  I would appreciate it if you could e-mail me at this address right away.  This way I can put you in
  my contact list.

Have a great week!

Peace,
Tom