November 15, 2020

November 13, 2020

Thank you all for taking time to meet with me during conferences.  I have one more left to do, rescheduled because of my needs, I appreciated the opportunity to chat about your child and what the plan is for each student.  Again, if you have any additional questions please reach out.

A student writing equations for a # bond
This week I tested the 1st grade students on their understanding of their complements of 10.  We have been working on these and I am looking for fluency with them.  Those who demonstrated mastery have been working on complements of 20 and for some 100.  I am hoping each student has the ten complements down by the end of November.  The 2nd grade math students have been working on writing numbers using expanded notation.  I was impressed with the work that Mr. Hubbard showed me and know they are working diligently with this concept.  

Mr. Hubbard and I discussed the current Covid situation and the endless scenarios that could come about.  We have both agreed that if we have to switch to an all remote scenario that we would only assign Lexia and Zearn the 1st day and use that day to get all of the students materials, to be used at home, ready for pickup.  This would allow you to not have to try and navigate your work schedule and getting kids on a video call that first day.  

We will be headed to the state of New York this week as we once again get back in the old class RV and head west.  After taking a week off to get everyone caught up with their work, it will be fun to head to our neighbors to our left.  It has been nice hearing from you, that your child is excited and enjoying this work.  I can't wait to see what each student find s interesting this week.  There will be new scoring rubrics, for the passport and video entries, posted on our Google Classroom site on Monday.

On Tuesday, I spent some time talking about Veteran's Day and what a veteran was.  We watched a video about it and also heard a story read aloud.  The students also talked about Veteran's they know.  I wanted to make sure they understood why we honor those who served. 

Students learning about Veteran's Day

NOTES:

*Please make sure your child brings their reading group and/or book of choice book back each day.

*Please make sure your child has a pair of shoes to wear if they wear boots to school.

*We will be keeping the windows open for the foreseeable future.  Your child may want to bring an extra sweatshirt or jacket to leave at school.  Just make sure his/her name is in it.  

That is all for now.  I hope you have a great Sunday.

Peace,

Mr. Young