April 8, 2013

April 8, 2013

Good Afternoon,
 I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.  I was glad to be back in the classroom doing what I truly love to do, teaching kids.  Today, we started a two week unit on narratives.  I wanted to revisit the concept (we looked at them in November).  We will spend the next two weeks looking at the elements of a narrative and how authors use these elements to write a good story.



  During reading, Mrs. Lea's groups were working on two different things.  One group has finished their book and is working on a book project that will focus on comprehension and writing about their reading.  The other group is finishing up their chapter book and working on summarizing each chapter. This group will use their summaries to complete the same book project as the other group.  My three groups are working on story elements and using them to effectively retell a story.  They are also working on written responses about their reading.

This afternoon, I started a two week unit on math facts with the 1st graders.  This unit will encourage the automatizing of the basic facts by focusing on relationships and the use of strategies such as doubles and near doubles.  The emphasis will be moving away from counting by ones.  This is a fun unit and the children were amazed how fast math moved along today.

I hope you have a wonderful week.

Peace,
Tom