October 2, 2013

October 2, 2013

Good Morning Friends,
  Yesterday marked the first day of a full Reader's Workshop.  The students had four rotations through the Daily 5 activities and I met with a Reading Group and individuals about their reading.  Reading homework will be sent home Monday-Thursday (with a few exceptions).  Starting next week, the students will also have a reading log to fill out (each night).  Second graders should be filling out their own log (with a little if needed).  First graders can fill it out themselves or have a parent do it for them.  Please make sure this gets done each night.

  Upon arrival to the classroom, the students take care of their homework bag, sign up for meeting, and then get right to work on their sight words.  This gives them 40-50 minutes a week to work on spelling sight words.  IT is a very important part of each child's development as a writer and reader.  The students have a variety of choices on how they practice these words.  However, if your child arrives late, he/she misses out on this opportunity.  In that regard, I need your help.  I will do my best to make sure your child hits their potential this year, but I need them at school on time.  Even being 5 minutes late each day adds up to 25 minutes a week.  I truly appreciate everyone's effort to make this happen.   Below is an example of one of the sight word activities.

Tomorrow, the whole school will take part in our 1st PBIS celebration.  We will head outside at 1:30 and be engaged in a  variety of Fall themed activities.  I heard a rumor of Gourd Bocce.  It should be a fun time for the students.

1st Grade Math:  The cards sent home yesterday were meant to be flashcards.  Cut them out and practice with your child whenever you have a chance.  Five minutes a day will go a very long way!

**There is a PTA sponsored potluck at the school tonight.  The idea was to have an avenue for new families to meet the other families of the Waitsfield School.  I will not be attending tonight.  As many of  you are experiencing, kids schedules are quite busy and I need to be available for my family tonight.  After being here last Tuesday for Open House, I couldn't ask my wife to try to go solo again this week. I apologize for my absence and hope you enjoy the event.

I hope you have a wonderful day.

Peace,
Tom