November 4, 2013

November 4, 2013

Good Morning,
  I hoe you had a wonderful weekend.  My daughter and I ran in a very cold 5k in South Burlington on Sunday morning.  However, it was a lot of fun and she did great.  I am trying to run 1 race a month for a year.  I might need some suggestions for a warm February one.

  Today, the students shopped for their new books for their read to self bags.  We had Reader's and Writer's workshop in the morning.  This week I will review/introduce the students to the concept of using powerful/descriptive words in their writing.  I call these words "Spicy Cheez-It" words.  On Tuesday, your child will find out why.  You will have to ask them about it in Tuesday evening.

On Friday, we had a session with our 5th and 6th grade learning buddies.  The students were asked to work together to build the tallest structure that they could using marshmallows and toothpicks.

NOTES:

*There is a new reading log in your child's bag.  Please make sure it is filled out each evening.  I check these at the end of each week and if it is completely filled out the student gets a sticker for their album.

*1st Grade Math:  You should continue to play the game that was sent home last week.  I will send home the survey next Monday and a new game a week from tomorrow.

*If you are going to be away the week of Thanksgiving and will be missing our parent conference, could you please let me know this week.  I have already heard from one family and just want to know about any others.

*I will be traveling on the 21st and 22nd of November.  I will be headed to South Carolina to see my siblings and parents.  My brother Kenny just got back from Afghanistan and we are gathering as a family.

*Remember there is an Early Release Day on Wednesday.

*Please send back your Winter Sports Form. I am missing 5.

Have a great week!

Peace,
Tommy