September 12, 2014

September 12, 2014

Good Morning,

  We have had a great week of school and it was nice to get a full 5 days in.  This week, the students all wrote a paragraph about themselves.  These writes will be part of a bulletin board in the room and will also be part of a special project that involves the use of our "official" class photo.

  It was a great Stuffed Animal Day and the students were full of enthusiasm.  The animals even made it into the class picture.  Below is a picture from today.



  This week's video focused mostly on the students' specials during the week.  I wasn't able to get to Library but will try next week.  I hope you enjoy the video.


Notes:

*Your child has a Weekly News Log in their backpack (these will come home every Friday).  Please take a look at the note inside the front cover of it.  You should take a moment to respond to your child  You don't have to write on the lines (meaning writing with big letters).  We will read the responses during our Meeting on Monday.  The purpose of the Weekly News is to give you a chance to see your child's writing, spelling, and hand writing, and to hear from them about their week.  I hope you enjoy reading their entries.

*We will start science next Thursday.  Their will be a film crew in the classroom to film the lesson.  This is part of the Science Project that you all received information about.

*I will be out of the classroom on Friday afternoon.  I have a meeting in Montpelier.

*Please check out the note (below) from Katie Babic.

Have A Great Weekend!

Peace,
Mr. Young

ROCK’IN GUIDANCE TIME

Welcome back to another wonderful school year! For those of you who are new to our community or I have yet to meet, my name is Katie Babic and I am the Waitsfield School Counselor. As I discussed and clarified with your child(ren) last week during our initial class, I am not the school nurse, however my role can be very similar. As the school counselor I have many roles here at W.E.S. Some of these roles include being a classroom teacher, a counselor for both individuals and small groups, and also a resource for teachers and parents, amongst other things! If you have any questions or concerns regarding your child please do not hesitate to contact me. I can be reached best during my working hours, Tuesday -Thursday at kbabic@wwsu.org.
However, my purpose is not to discuss my overall role as your school counselor, but to open a line of communication to inform you of the work I will be doing with your child during our 12 weeks of guidance. My overarching theme in the 1st and 2nd grade guidance class this year is Empathy. To kick things off last week, I introduced the word to your child(ren), through a quick activity and video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_1Rt1R4xbM. Over the course of our time together this theme will be reinforced as we discuss topics such as getting along with others, being compassionate and kind, working on solving problems peacefully and being mindful of ourselves and our environment.  Again, if you have any question pertaining to the curriculum or your child(ren) please do not hesitate to reach out or check out my website for further resources http://kbabic.blogspot.com/. I look forward to working and growing with your child!

Best,


Katie Babic