September 12, 2016

September 12, 2016

Good Morning,

  I hope you all had a great weekend.  I was in the Valley for my youngest daughter's soccer game and my oldest was in Long Island running with the Harwood team.  I love watching kids compete and I find watching my own children to be very rewarding.

  Today we read the book Duck For President by Doreen Cronin.  This book allowed me to talk about the idea of elections and why we have them.  Surprisingly, the students had a hard time defining what an election was.  This book was a great way to kick off our study of elections and the Vermont governor's race.  This Friday, Secretary Condos will be visiting to talk about elections in Vermont and his role as Secretary of State.  I am also in the process of scheduling a visit from Phill Scott and am waiting to hear back from Sue Minter's campaign.  I have asked both candidates if they would talk about why they want to be governor and what they would do for Vermont kids.  The goal is to teach kids that they should be informed about candidates before voting.  I will not be sharing my views and/or who I will be voting for with the students.  I feel very strongly that a teacher needs to stay neutral on issues such as politics and not sway their students one way or another.

NOTES:

*School pictures will be on Friday.  We are scheduled for 8:00 am.

*Homework Bags:  Please have your child bring their book and bag back each day.  I ask that you developed some kind of routine that allows your child to take ownership of this responsibility.

*I want to see if my blog post are getting to everyone.  Could you please send me a quick email that let's me know you are getting the blog posts.  My email is tyoung@wwsu.org

That is all for now.  Have a great week.
Peace,
Tommy