September 9, 2016

September 9, 2016


Good Afternoon,

  Week two has come and gone like a flash.  This week the students used their Hopes and Dreams (their goal) to help create classroom expectations.  I asked the students to think about what they would need n place that would allow them to work toward and/or accomplish their Hopes and Dreams.  The students came up with about 20 different rules that they thought needed to be in place. We then had a discussion about trying to remember all the rules they wanted.  I thought that it would be too many to remember.  A few of the students suggested that we combined them.  So we looked for ones that were similar and were able to come up with 5 expectations. I then asked the students to give me examples of the rules in action (i.e. helping a friend pick up their spilled lunch).



  Yesterday we started creating our caterpillar habitats.  The students worked with Mrs. Jane and defined the term habitat and discussed what a caterpillars habitat would need. They also compared the habitat of a caterpillars to their own.  WE ARE NOW ON THE HUNT FOR CATERPILLARS.  If you find any around your home, please send them in.



  Math class started this week. As a reminder, the 2nd graders will all go to Mr. Hubbard and the 1st graders will be with me.

Notes:

*This year I will be teaching the students about elections.  I will be focusing on the Vermont Governor's race.  Jim Condos, the Secretary of State, will be visiting our classroom on Friday.  He will be coming in to talk about his role with elections and why they are important.

*Students may want to pack an extra snack.  Many of the students are finding that they want more food during the day.  I have been allowing students to eat an extra snack throughout the day (if needed).

*I do allow for kids to drink from water bottles throughout the day.  I encourage each kid to bring one in.  Please make sure their name is on it.

*Barb Morrison is a para educator who works in our classroom.  Her daughter Kelsey is a 22 year old looking for some babysitting jobs.  She has watched my own daughters and I can vouch for her abilities.  If you need a good sitter, who can drive, give her a call at 595-5108

That is all for now.  I hope you have a great weekend.

Peace,
Tommy