September 26, 2016

September 26, 2016

Good Afternoon,

  The talk of soccer games, hikes, and playing outside sure made it sound like everyone had a great weekend.  Today we started formalized reading instruction.  Like everything else, it will move at a slower pace as we establish norms and routines.  Tonight, each child has a book or part of a book to read as well as a book of choice.

  I will be out of the classroom on Tuesday and Friday of this week.  Tomorrow I have a meeting at the Agency of Education.  A year and a half ago I was appointed, by the governor, to be a member of the Vermont Standards Board of Professional Educators.  We meet 10 times a year.  Mrs. Jane will be filling in for me.  On Friday, I am taking a personal day to head to Maine.  My daughter has a race on Saturday and my wife and I are driving up Friday.

OPEN HOUSE:  Tomorrow will be the Waitsfield School's Open House.  It wills tart at 5:30 and run until 6:30.  Open house is a chance for your child to show you their classroom and things they are excited about.  It truly is their evening and I have set it up so that they can be your classroom tour guides.  I look forward to seeing everyone and enjoying the evening.  I ask that you refrain from asking about any specific academic levels or performances (of your child).  I wouldn't be comfortable talking about your child's ability in front of other parents.

NOTES:

*Please make sure your child has a sweatshirt or jacket on these cooler days.  I often have a window open and the classroom does stay cool.

*Please send back reading books each day.  Even if you don;t get to the homework, I need the books back.

That is all for now.  Have a great week!

Peace,
Tommy