March 26, 2020

March 26, 2020

Good Evening,
  As I am writing this post, news of the Governor's decision is spreading across social media and reactions are all over the place.  I am no expert with the decisions they have to make to keep our whole state safe but I understand the school directive.

  We are in this "new norm" for much longer than we had hoped for and much longer than we thought we would have to be.  The initial attempt for the continued education had a focus of maintaining their levels for a short period.  As a whole we will now have to see this as a long term solution as we move forward.  The decision may not necessarily change what your child's work load looks like but it puts more of an importance on us making sure each child is accessing and completing the work.  As we know, each decision can change one way or another two days after it was made.  This directive give us a focus as we prepare next steps.

  I was on a video chat with 15 teachers from all across the country, this evening.  Hearing the position that so many kids are in from other parts of the country, I feel blessed for our students and our district.  We now have devices in the hands of each family (that wanted one), The Valley has benefitted from Waitsfield Telecom getting access to each child who needs it by getting internet in their homes.  We have brave workers getting food to kids who need it.  We have teachers creating ways to reach each of their students, and thinking about their learning, success, and overall care both day and night.  There is so much more that is happening and I do not mean to leave anyone out.  What I have seen from my colleagues makes me truly proud to be part of our school, our district, and our community.

  I know each decision that is made by our state and federal government most likely adds a new hurdle in your day to day lives.  I wish I had the power to eliminate these hurdles but the reality is I don't.  I can only offer that I am here if you need me, I can advise the best I can, and I will continue to put your child's learning and well being in the forefront of all that I do.

Today's Links:
Morning Meeting
Live Writing Instruction Part 1
Live Writing Instruction Part 2

Tuesday's writing lesson will require that the students have a few copies of this document.  I made copies in put them in the pick up box. They are clipped together.  Grab 5 of them.  You can also print it from home by clicking here.

Tomorrow's Schedule:
Morning Meeting and Read-A-Loud@ 9:00

Zearn Information:
I wanted to offer you a bit more overview on Zearn.  Here is a 15:00 video that breaks it down for teachers.  I do think it gives you a better understanding of why Mr. Hubbard and I are using this program for distance learning.  Please, please reach out if you have any questions.





That is all for now.
Peace,
Tommy