May 18, 2020

May 18, 2020

Good Morning,
  I hope you all had a wonderful weekend.  I was able to join in two "drive-by" birthday celebrations for two of our class members.  It was great to see their smiles and delightfulness with the celebrations.  I also took delight in more projects around our outside area.  I was able to make a table/bar, out of some slab wood, for our pizza oven and campfire area.  I find it very satisfying to complete these types of projects.  Next up for me is a lean to for my shed.

  Today we read Let's Do Nothing by Tony Fucile.  "Frankie and Sal have already played every sport and board game invented, baked and eaten batches of cookies, and painted a zillion pictures. What's left to do? Nothing! Ten seconds of nothing! Can they do it? Can they act like stone statues in the park? Can they simply hold their breath and not blink an eye?"




After we were done reading the book, I asked the kids to represent something they would do today.  Here are two of the pictures I received. 












Today's Recording:
Morning Meeting 5/18/20

Tomorrow's Schedule:
Morning Meeting @ 9:00
Writing Instruction @ 10:00

Tomorrow's Writing Prompt:
The students in grades3-12 (in our district) have been sent a student survey regarding distance learning.  I wanted to hear from my students and agree that a survey is not the best way for 1st and 2nd graders.  So, tomorrow's prompt will be a letter, that they write to me, where they are asked if they prefer in-person learning or distance learning.  They will have to support their opinion with evidence of their feelings.  I am doing this to give them a voice, practice their persuasive writing skills, and to hear what they have to say.  I look forward to reading their responses.

That is all for now.  have a wonderful Monday.
Peace,
Tommy