September 23, 2013

September 23, 2013

Good Morning,
  I hope you had a great weekend.  I found myself staring at the many colors that are now starting to appear on the mountainsides.  What a beautiful place we live in!  Today, we continued to work on the three Daily 5 routines that have been introduced.  We will aim to start our normal reading group schedule next week.

  This year, one of our Social Studies themes is People Making A Difference.  I will be inviting people in to talk to the class about how they make a difference.  Our first guest will be visiting on Tuesday.  He is Armando Vilaseca, the Secretary of Education for the State of Vermont.  He is someone I traveled with last summer and am excited that he can visit our classroom.  After his presentation, the students will learn how to do a write up about the presentation.  This is the model that I will be using throughout the year.  Mr. Mongeon (our librarian) has also agreed to read about (throughout the year) some famous Americans that have made a difference.  It will be a nice way to integrate our curriculum into other areas of learning.

 NOTES:

*There will be a substitute in my room on Thursday and Friday.  I will be in and out of the classroom those two days.  I have to do one to one math testing with each 1st grade child.  This is a district wide assessment that gives me great information about your child's number and operation skills and allows me to differentiate both their classroom instruction and homework.

*Book Orders are due tomorrow.

*Please, please make sure to send your child's homework bag back each day and Weekly News Journals on Monday's.  I don't usually send the homework bags home over the weekend.

*Math Homework will start next week (for 1st Grade).

Have a great week.

Peace,
Tommy